Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Sweet Rosemary Syrup -- Lattes and Steamers await!


      Recently a friend posted a photo of her homemade latte on FB. I don't even drink coffee and this concoction looked divine.  It was inspired by the utter delicious magic of Talula's Table, Rosemary Latte, in Kennett.  I'd always adored the flavor of Rosemary as a savory flavor, but had never thought of it as a sweet flavor.  The same friend had a recent dinner party.  I honestly can't remember if it was during an Ostara bonfire or just a nice dinner one weeknight.  Nonetheless, after dinner, coffee talk started.  "You have to try this," Laura said to the guests.  As I mentioned, I don't do coffee so I was just enjoying the chatter of the evening.  Laura had different plans.  Knowing how much I adore rosemary Laura suggested a rosemary steamer instead of a Latte.  I'm down!

     It was heaven in a mug.  Heaven.  I quickly asked Laura how she had made such amazing treats in her kitchen and I was hooked.  Laura had used rosemary teabags, but I didn't find them in the stores I looked, and frankly wasn't thrilled about rosemary I couldn't see or smell beforehand.  I just grabbed the herb pack seen above from my local produce section.

     I grabbed four healthy sized sprigs of rosemary and threw them in my tea infuser (below) and filled it with three cups of boiling water.  I let it sit over night to steep, though with rosemary being woody, I could have sped the process by boiling the rosemary with the water and making a decoction.

     Because I had left the infusion over night, I boiled 2 cups of infusion to bring it to a boil.  I added two cups of sugar to a pyrex bowl.  Once the rosemary infusion was boiling I added it to the sugar to stirring vigorously to make a syrup. I did have to add a teeny bit of infusion to bring it to an even 4 cups of syrup.  I then added a splash of homemade vanilla syrup because vanilla is awesome in just about everything.  

     Once I finished my syrup I couldn't wait to try it, so I heated a mug full of milk slowly on the stove, poured it into my mug and topped it with fresh Rosemary Vanilla Syrup.  Heavenly.  Now I can enjoy whenever I want.  My husband is thrilled because now I'm drinking milk. Everyone wins.


     My fabulous mug is a favorite from Dancing Pig Pottery that says, "Gruntled Minion".  Thanks to my friend Laura for the inspiration for this blog.
      

No comments:

Merry Meet! Please enjoy your stay and have a joyous time browsing around my realm.

Check out my tea selection at http://blackthornhoodooblends.com